USA Can my LLC claim expenses against the past 10 years of R&D I did in my garage out of pocket?

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the past 10 years I've been working on a specifically designed set of machines and custom molds, buying and using 3D Printers, lathes, metal and other materials to make these specific molds and machines to produce parts. Now that I am getting close to the point where I can have a complete line of tooling to produce parts and sell them, I'm learning more about business structure, taxes, accounting, etc.

I received mail addressed to my company, but never had any income, never sold anything and never produced something I could sell (yet). Never filed any taxes or anything either (I know, but not having any sales, it didn't seem urgent at the time).

Now that I'm getting all the bookwork and related paperwork in total order, and getting closer to making and selling parts, is there any way my LLC can claim any credit/write off for the previous 10 years of out-of- pocket expenses, time, research and development, machines, materials and etc. against next year's profits as I make and assemble parts from these machines?

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Get yourself an accountant who knows how to help you.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Really? When there's a statute of limitations for filing a tax return of 3 years for claiming any refunds for a specific tax year.
Unless all of your costs are capitalized and depreciated based on the date they are put into service.

Ask a Question