Cost Accounting and Manufacturing

J

John Baker

Although I'm retired and have been for some time, I get questions concerning specific topics related to the costing methods/systems that accommodates the allocation of value to inventory and the best fit of accounting for such. In today's economic environment, the differences between manufacturing plants as cost centenars Vs manufacturing plants as profit centers, has challenged even the best of us in this profession.
Would you think that a separate title - Cost Accounting for Manufacturing - would be worth while. I have yet to see a forum that takes on such a topic. Possibly with good reason(s), given the dynamics of that portion of our profession.

Becky

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, John! By separate title, do you mean you would like to see a separate sub-forum?

Ad

Advertisements

J

John Baker

By a separate sub-forum you mean a heading classification, like the one I posted to, relative to this topic?
Well, perhaps.

From my experience, I think an effort helping those entering this specific field, understanding the dynamics and reasoning that often challenges the textbooks*, and even professional pronouncements. The multilayers of old-school thinking, has gone the way of the dodo, leaving the managerial accountant striding other demands, not just accountancy.

So my suggestion would be, if there's a demand for asking .. "How come," then I can see a purpose. Marginal interest can be satisfied as is.

Excellent web site by the way.

*My very first position, right out of college, was with a large, Fortune 500, manufacturing company. Day two, I was called into
the controller's office and welcomed to his staff. Just before sitting down, the man pointed to a row of books in his office and
instructed me to pick one, any one. I did, and he extended his hand and took the book. He then randomly opened the book and
placed it on his desk. He then told me,
"What's in this text book, stays in the text books. We do things differently here. I you have any problem with that, there's a perfectly good staircase that will show you the street."

Ad

Advertisements

Becky

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, by sub-forum I mean similar to "General Accountancy Discussion" or "Technical Queries". I don't think we've had many questions relating to Cost Accounting for Manufacturing, but if this changes I would certainly consider adding a sub-forum for it :)

I'm really glad you are enjoying the site!

Ask a Question