UK Data protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was in a construction business partnership until 18 months ago. I/we used an accountant as an agent for partnership and self assessment returns. I now require printed copies of everything the accountant holds re partnership/self assessment. Should I pay £80 per hour or can I ask for copies under the Data Protection Act?

Last edited:

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ask for copies, although expect a fairly hefty 'admin fee' to be applied. I doubt you could get it for free under the Data Protection Act.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Self assessment is a personal tax which I think would be covered and the partnership figures were given to work out SA so hopeful it will be covered

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would furnishing you with copies of anything free of charge fall under data protection act?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would furnishing you with copies of anything free of charge fall under data protection act?

Obviously there is a fee I think its about a tenner
Surely an individual has a right for copies of information held by a business

This is the sixth data protection principle, and the rights of individuals that it refers to are:

• a right of access to a copy of the information comprised in their personal data;
  • a right to object to processing that is likely to cause or is causing damage or distress;
  • a right to prevent processing for direct marketing;
  • a right to object to decisions being taken by automated means;
  • a right in certain circumstances to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
  • a right to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Act.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In brief – what is an individual entitled to?
This right, commonly referred to as subject access, is created by section 7 of the Data Protection Act. It is most often used by individuals who want to see a copy of the information an organisation holds about them. However, the right of access goes further than this, and an individual who makes a written request and pays a fee is entitled to be:

• told whether any personal data is being processed;
  • given a description of the personal data, the reasons it is being processed, and whether it will be given to any other organisations or people;
  • given a copy of the information comprising the data; and given details of the source of the data (where this is available).

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hear what you're saying, but you aren't applying as an individual in the context of the above.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..but it is business information you're looking for rather than what information is held on you as an individual.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No im asking for personal information although it is information when collated was probably used for the business side

Ask a Question