USA Deductions of expenses paid from non-taxable funds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Am I allowed to deduct expenses that were paid from non-taxable funds on my personal form 1040 return?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The answer is... it depends on what the expenses were as it relates to whether it is deductible. If, for example, the expenses were charitable contributions the answer would be a yes if you were for some reason itemizing on your schedule A. Send me direct message or contact a CPA to get more into specifics and the answers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your response. Yes, the expenses are what would normally be considered deductible. Medical, charitable contributions, etc. I file a corporate return for an LLC (treated as an s-corp) and a personal return. The deductions in question would be taken via the personal return. The non-taxable funds are in their own account, separate and apart from the tax related accts and not listed as income.

These expenses were mistakenly paid from the non-taxable funds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would this be the paycheck protection act funds? I remember there was some controversy about being able to deduct expenses from those funds because on the surface it appears like a double tax benefit. But I think the what the critics overlook is that only an entity's profits are truly "taxable," and that in theory acceptance of said funds is preconditioned on being in a state of financial precariousness in the first place. After all we consider the times that are upon us. I haven't seen the way it plays out on a tax form, but I would think that any profits which do appear are offset by the amount of the funding so as to ensure it is non-taxable. For example, we'll suppose net income was $500. The funding was $600. As a result, a netting of the $600 against the $500 results in a loss of $100.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Dave. They're not PPAF, but they are legally non-taxable funds.

Ask a Question