Delete only one side of a transfer?

Reaction score
I am entering a lot of historical data and generally cleaning things up. Don't ask...

Anyhow, I am finding the need to "disconnect" accounts from each other in order to make tasks simpler. I am doing a lot of importing from data prepared in Excel and the connections between accounts are troublesome.

For example, you pay $100 from your checking account to a credit card account. If you did this by hand from your checking account and selected the CC account as the category the transaction is posted automatically into the credit card account.

What I want to do is break that bond (hint: I eventually need to migrate some data into Quickbooks). For example, I would like to see all payments like the one above show-up in the checking account as "Payment to credit cards" and have no link whatsoever to the actual credit card account (except for a note in the memo).

Is there a way to break the link? If I go and use the recategorize function on the checking account it ends-up deleting the matching transaction in the CC account. So, while I end-up with what I one in the checking account I end-up loosing data in the other. What I need is a way to break the bond, if you will. If I do it from the CC account, same thing, it deletes the matching transaction in the checking account.

Using Quicken 2010 deluxe.

Thanks,

-Martin

Ask a Question