Canada Do I need a university degree to take the CPA exam?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm currently in college in Canada.
I overheard some students in my class that they are going to take a few years in university before taking the CPA exam.
I know there are probably going to be some thing in the CPA exam that I've never learned, but is another 3 years in University necessary?
What other ways can I study for the CPA exam? Are there any e-lectures I can purchase before I take the CPA exam or how should I study for this?
This is my current curriculum:

Curriculum

COM101
Communicating Across Contexts

BAM101
Introduction to Business Administration

ACC120
Accounting Basics I

MRK106
Marketing I

MBF101
Mathematics of Business and Finance

SMS210
Microcomputer Applications for Business

ACC220
Accounting Basics II

ACC415
Intermediate Accounting I

ACC517
Intermediate Accounting II

ACC540
Personal Taxation

EAC894
Business Writing

SMS315
Systems Studies II

HRM742
Business Management & Organizational Behaviour

ACC431
Cost Accounting

FIN401
Finance I

ALW380
Business Law for Accounting

QNM222
Business Statistics

ECN501
Introduction to Principles of Economics - Micro

ECN502
Introduction to Principles of Economics - Macro

ETH400
Contemporary Ethics Issues

ACC533
Managerial Accounting

ACC530
Advanced Financial Accounting

ACC551
Accounting: Auditing I

ACC642
Corporate Taxation

ACC653
Accounting: Auditing II

QNM444
Quantitative Approaches to Decision Making

MSC312
Advanced Business Software Applications

FIN603
Finance II

SMS415
Systems Studies III

EAC694
Advanced Report Writing

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont know about Canada - in the US, most states require at least 150 college credit hours (which will require post grad work) as well as some years experience.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For one thing, you need an undergraduate degree. Best is for you to go directly to the Canadian CPA website.

Steve-LevelUp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Contacting the local CPA office directly and they can tell you if your specific college is recognized and can help guide you with what you need to qualify for the CPA program.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can preapre for CPA exam and continue your under graduate program. Anyways you need undergraduate degree.

Reaction score
Country
India
US Professional qualifications "Complement" University Education- e.g. to be a CPA, CMA or CFA, a university degree is mandatory. Therefore the content and focus are only on skill-gaps that are needed to be an F&A professional. Hence, graduation is mandatory to be eligible to appear for the CPA exams.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have commented on a different post with a similar topic, but the requirements vary from state to state, some of them require you to have 150 credits before sitting for the exam and some require 120... All of them require 150 credits to get the license. Also all of the states have a requirement to sit for and pass the 4 sections of the CPA exam.

FAR- Financial Accounting and Reporting
AUD- Auditing and Attestation
REG- Regulation
BEC- Business Environment and Concepts

In order to pass those exams you need a CPA review course, otherwise it's almost impossible. I have been using Roger CPA Review and I have nothing but good things to say. It is a great course with a lot of unique features that other review courses don't offer. Basically Roger's course would give you all the tools you need in order to pass the exams, the rest is up to you! Good luck!

Ask a Question