UK Foreign Income Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am a UK resident. I work in Turkey 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off as in the oil and gas industry.

For the past 2 1/2 years I have worked through a LTD company which has been great. However, in January they have given us a new contract in which we have basically become employees. This now means that we have tax liabilities in Turkey. Due to the nature of the work, these are exempted in Turkey (in the same way seamen get an exemption after 180days).

I have been advised that this exemption will still count as credit in the UK and I have read the DT Treaty which backs that up.

My main question is, since I have been paying myself from a LTD company from April to Jan 22, and now getting it in my personal account. Would this credit only be on my salary? Would I still be liable for dividends tax? They pay quite high tax in Turkey so the amount of exempt tax is enough to cover salary + dividends.

Ask a Question