USA FSA Accounting at Year-end

Reaction score
Country
United States
How does one reconcile and account for FSA liabilities at the end of a fiscal year? I currently have a liability account where payroll deductions go in and claims are taken out. When we established the account I created a receivable account for the IRS required upfront company funding. What triggers the relief of that receivable? Employees have 3 grace months in the following calendar year to file claims and that is beyond the year-end close. How do I show the liability account at year-end if I don't know if anybody is under spent? What happens to the unspent money in terms of a journal entry? Thank you for your input.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The way we account for it is to estimate based on past experience how much was incurred but not yet reported and hold that amount as a liability and release the rest to the P&L. At the end of the grace period we release the remainder to the P&L if its not used. This is no different than how we account for workmans comp or other situations where you need to estimate your liability at YE.

Ask a Question