USA General accounting

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had a company salary expense accrual in December 2022 for $50,000. Our fiscal year end is December 2022. I need to reverse this accrual in January 2023. Do I reverse it out of salary expense or retained earnings? Thank you

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You reverse it using same accounts and amounts used in the original entry just debiting what was originally credited and crediting what was originally debited. Do not use retained earnings.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is that in accordance with GAAP? My outside accountants are not recommending reversing it out of salary expense. I prefer to handle it this way. And remember this is over year end, so December 2022 accrued the expense and January I want to reverse the expense.

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A reversal to the accounts that were used is the correct method. The only exception would be if the December accrual was a HUGE mistake. But then that is not handled as a reversal but as a correction of your 2022 books and a prior period adjustment to retained earnings.

How do your accountants propose this should be handled and what is their rationale?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Quickbooks next to the Frozen Foods section.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A reversal to the accounts that were used is the correct method. The only exception would be if the December accrual was a HUGE mistake. But then that is not handled as a reversal but as a correction of your 2022 books and a prior period adjustment to retained earnings.

How do your accountants propose this should be handled and what is their rationale?

Ask a Question