USA How to account for giving a tenant free rent?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My company entered into a new commercial lease with a new tenant. As part of the lease we are giving them the first 6 months rent free. As the lessor how do I account for that? As in what journal entries do I need to do?

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You could model it after trade discounts on retail: Book the full rent a Gross Rent Revenue revenue account, book the discount to a Rent Discount contra-revenue account, and the balance to a Rent Receivable asset account.

So, assume you charge $1,000/month for rent, and give them a 20% discount for the first six months. Each month they get the discount you'd book:

DR Rent Receivable $800
DR Rent Discount $200
CR Gross Rent Revenue $1000

If you give them "free rent", you'd book just DR Rent Discount/CR Gross Rent Revenue. Once the discount period is over, you'd just book DR Rent Receivable/CR Gross Rent Revenue.

Then in your income statement, you'd net the Rent Discounts account against the Gross Rent Revenue account to get a Net Rent Revenue line.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi 10point
This is actually the correct method:

and same method is shown here with a little more explanation

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I get treating the free rent period as a sales inducement. But that method assumes that the rent is calculable in advance. How would you apply it for percentage rent, since the lease in question is a commercial lease? Would you assume that sales stay below the break point for the term of the lease?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
That would work as far as I could tell.

Ask a Question