USA Did not record opening balance when switched to new accounting system

Reaction score
Country
United States
When the company switched to a new accounting system two years ago, they did not record the opening balance for a liability. They have not been able to reconcile to the bank statement this whole time.

Prior fiscal periods are now closed in the accounting system and cannot be adjusted.

How do I record the opening balance at this late date?

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Something is not clear.
How does a discrepancy in a liability account not make a bank reconciliation reconcile unless it was a deposit to the general ledger that was not entered? And this was let go for 2 years? What showed up on the business tax return for balance sheet information - or was that not shown because it was under the threshold to report?
Seems like an adjusting entry is necessary:
DR Cash
CR Liability Account

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does not reconcile to the bank statement for that liability account. It was a credit balance that was not brought over. Don't know what happened 2 years ago. I didn't work here. Just trying to fix it now. Is it acceptable to DR equity / CR liability account?

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A bank reconciliation reconciles Cash. Not a liability account.
Unless you're talking about a loan account created through a financial institution such as a bank or finance company.
So I still don't know what you're talking about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do I record the opening balance at this late date? I cannot re-open prior period books.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Until you describe the source of the liability there is no accurate way of answering your question, no matter how many
times you repeat it.
I would only GUESS - that if it came from a bank source such as a bank loan or credit card debt where you receive a monthly
statement showing the monthly activity changes from one month to the other, the best way would be to
DR Retained Earnings
CR Liability Payable

Ask a Question