USA How to enter insurance proceeds on Schedule C

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small online business, I have shipping insurance and last year one of my shipments went missing. My insurance provider paid out to me, I am trying to figure out how to show that on my schedule C- put it in Other income or if I just add it to my sales.

If it helps, I replaced the client's merchandise and issued a new invoice for the replacement shipment (had to to get my inventory correct). I use a cash basis so my coded deposits must match my sales so I think I count the insurance company check received as sales.

Can anyone confirm?

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
By doing that you'll overstate the actual sales and the sales tax return gross sales number won't match the general ledger.

Reaction score
Country
United States
By doing that you'll overstate the actual sales and the sales tax return gross sales number won't match the general ledger.
I don't know if I'm "overstating" the sales, I got money in twice (exact same amount) and shipped the same product twice.

Sales tax isn't a concern- I'm in Montana with no sales tax.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
How about corporation tax?
Even though IRS calculates tax on net amount of profit, various states calculate corporate franchise tax on gross receipts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Schedule C- Sole Proprietor. So no, and Montana doesn't have that anyway.

OK, so I will just include the payment I got from the insurance in my gross sales.

Thanks!

Ask a Question