UK How to get out of practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just a bit in a rut in terms of career progression and was wondering if anyone else has been in my situation and want to share their experience or any advice.

I am a qualified chartered accountant and I have been in practice for about 10 years. I was trained in a small practice (small and medium companies and small self-employed accounts) and stayed their for 6 years.I learnt a lot for the first 2 years but after that I plateaued as was doing the same work over and over and we did not have any audit work. For personal reasons, I did not move until 6 years later. I then joined a 5 partner practice in London where I mostly worked on management accounts. The statutory accounts I worked on were for smaller companies and not very challenging. I was never put on audit jobs when requested (mostly because of management accounts timing every month). After two years, I joined a top 20 firm as a senior in the accountancy department. The accounts I work on a daily basis are straight forward and there's very little use of accounting standards as such. No tax work either as all done by the tax department. I also do book-keeping and management accounts and while I was on maternity leave, a trainee without any qualification has been doing that. Just to say anyone at my work can do what I do.

I feel like I am a qualified chartered accountant just on paper, I have never really dealt with any share scheme, any complex financial instrument or any real complex accounting issue. I want to move into industry but I keep getting rejected for jobs that I feel I am right for. I get a lot of interest from recruiters for top jobs like group accountant, head FC etc based on my 10 years experience and working in a top 20 firm.
I recently saw a job as accounts assistant in a big company and when I applied, I was not even offered an interview. The job advertised seemed more complex than what I currently do, but to the employer I look over-qualified.
I want to start at the bottom and work my way through in the industry but I am not being given a chance. I feel like i'm in a rut career-progression wise. The longer I stay in practice, the more difficult it gets to move into the industry and the expectation of future employers/recruiters gets higher.

Anyone with similar experence who would like to share?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's definitely a catch-22 going on with practice and non-practice in the job market. Practice only seems to want you if have practice experience and likewise, commerce/industry want experience in it, so switching between the two is as difficult (more perhaps?) as landing your first job in an accountancy capacity.

Have you tried registering with agencies to see what roles they can put you forward for?

I've never worked in practice, but quite fancy a stint in it, but I can't get in for the flip side of the reason that you can't get out of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's definitely a catch-22 going on with practice and non-practice in the job market. Practice only seems to want you if have practice experience and likewise, commerce/industry want experience in it, so switching between the two is as difficult (more perhaps?) as landing your first job in an accountancy capacity.

Have you tried registering with agencies to see what roles they can put you forward for?

I've never worked in practice, but quite fancy a stint in it, but I can't get in for the flip side of the reason that you can't get out of it.
Thanks for your reply Fidget. I have registered my cv online and I've had loads of interest from practice and a few industry opportunities. My problem is that I keep being considered for very senior role in industry based on my 10 year experience.
I am considering trying temporary jobs within industry.
Practice work is interesting depending on the client portfolio you get to work with.

Ask a Question