USA know Next To Nothing About Accounting But About To Graduate

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm about to graduate in May with a degree in accounting but I know next to nothing about it. There are various reasons for me not knowing much about accounting but it's mostly due to me not being a good student. Most of what I learned didn't stick. I'm pretty busy right now but do you think it would be a good use of my time if I studied my old introductory accounting, and intermediate accounting textbooks before I graduate, so I will know what to do if and when I get a job in accounting?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe you do know the subject but just don't feel like you do. After all, you are graduating. Was this an online school or a brick and mortar school? Is the school considered a good school?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah, I don't just feel like I don't know accounting. I had some generous teachers that curved grades in the past, that is probably the only reason I'm graduating. I really want to prove to myself that I can learn and do well in accounting because I'm feeling really defeated. It's like accounting knocked me out and now I want a rematch. I don't know what to do.

This was a brick and mortar school. It's an okay school, not the best.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Based on what you said, you are smart to ask if you should re-study your acctg books. Right now, in an interview your lack of confidence in your education will be apparent and outcome will be bad for you. So yeah - go hit the books and fix this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm having the same issue. I'm at an OK school and I'm about to transfer to a good school to get the credit requirements to sit for the CPA. I feel like the accounting students at my school have kept my professor from really working into the details of the material or else risk going over their head. (Maybe mine too) On top of that, the book that I'm using is NOT good at presenting information for the purpose of helping students learn.

When I started taking classes again, I hopped online and looked up text books that were REALLY good at explaining the material and purchased them.

Other than that, I'm nervous about a career in Accounting and want to work at it nonstop until it sticks. I feel like the best way to actually do this though is to actually get an internship and start plugging things away in a functional environment.

Ugo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm about to graduate in May with a degree in accounting but I know next to nothing about it. There are various reasons for me not knowing much about accounting but it's mostly due to me not being a good student. Most of what I learned didn't stick. I'm pretty busy right now but do you think it would be a good use of my time if I studied my old introductory accounting, and intermediate accounting textbooks before I graduate, so I will know what to do if and when I get a job in accounting?
I felt the exact same way when I graduated. So much so that I "ran" away from accounting jobs when I graduated. Got a job in product development for an educational company instead. It started off really well but a year and a half in, due to differences in opinion on a product line, I resigned.

But I could not find any job outside of accounting so I was forced back in. Long story short...I learned more about accounting in the job training than I did in school. In fact, I felt confident enough that I finally took the CPA exam and passed my first try.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get a job as a bookkeeper or a anything in the field. I got good grades but felt like I knew nothing. I am graduating next year and left my factory job a year ago to take a job with a small CPA firm. I have learned more doing accounting than studying it. They give you these problems and all the information is readily available. Accounting is about experience and repetition. Find a mentor. Find a place that will allow you to do actual accounting work. Be an accountant.

Ask a Question