Learning About Writing Techniques in Accounting

Reaction score
I am in my second year of school for accounting, and I am hoping that someone who is currently a practicing accountant could take the time to answer some questions for a business communications class that I am taking. I would greatly appreciate it.

What kind of writing do you do?
What kind of planning do you do before writing?
Where do you get information?
Do you brainstorm? Make lists?
Do you compose with pen and paper, a computer, or a dictating machine?
How many e-mail messages do you typically write in a day?
How long does it take you to compose a routine one or two page memo or letter?
Do you revise? How often?
Do you have a preferred method for proofreading?
When you have questions about grammar and mechanics, what or whom do you consult?
Does anyone read your drafts and make suggestions?
Can you describe your entire composition process?
Do you ever work with others to produce a document?
How does this process work?
What makes writing easier or harder for you?
Have your writing methods and skills changed since you left school?

Reaction score
Hi Nessnate,

Could you please elaborate on why you are asking these questions to help in answering them

Thanks!

Reaction score
Yes. In my business communications class, we are studying effective business writing. Part of an upcoming assignment involves finding out more about how much and what kinds of writing our chosen field may require, in my case accounting, whether it is memos, e-mails, letters to upper management, etc.

Reaction score
Hi,

Please see the responses. I have kept them short and sweet and you may elaborate. I have used a very practical approach to things whereas you might need some textbook approaches that you may need to add in.

What kind of writing do you do? Generally only emails. Or commentary for management on variances month on month,etc
What kind of planning do you do before writing? Always have an introduction, main content and conclusion
Where do you get information? From the business itself
Do you brainstorm? Make lists? Yes if required
Do you compose with pen and paper, a computer, or a dictating machine? Generally on the computer itself
How many e-mail messages do you typically write in a day?Depends on the nature of your job role but anywhere between 15-35
How long does it take you to compose a routine one or two page memo or letter? Not more than half an hour
Do you revise? How often?Revision is absolutely imperative. Atleast once
Do you have a preferred method for proofreading? Common sense and logic
When you have questions about grammar and mechanics, what or whom do you consult? Spell check within different programmes plus common sense and logic
Does anyone read your drafts and make suggestions? Line managers generally have a go through before its sent out
Can you describe your entire composition process? Thinking, writing and revising
Do you ever work with others to produce a document? Yes, with colleagues and peers
How does this process work? Have meeting/s to ascertain what you would like to jot down
What makes writing easier or harder for you? Practice and experience
Have your writing methods and skills changed since you left school? Yes, as one learns something new everyday

Ask a Question