Marine Officer to CPA

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently on active duty serving as a financial management officer in the USMC. I have a BS in religion and a MA in theology, but am weighing the possibility of getting my masters in accounting and becoming a CPA when I get out of the military. From the looks of things, most states require that you work for 2 years under a licences CPA before earning your own license. Has anyone heard of any exceptions to the rule? My office of 5 officers and ~150 Marines handles the finances for just over a third of the Marine Corps, so IMHO I'd have plenty of experience to offer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
(Great handle, NSD....agree 100%)

I'm not aware of any exceptions to the 2-yr experience requirement, but note that the nature of the supervised work experience, in terms of what's permissible, might be a bit broader than what you're thinking. See here for a little more, but I'm sure your own research will go further than this Wiki blurb.

Specifically, check in with the state accountancy board for the state in which you expect to be licensed, as the requirements (at least with respect to many of the details) are state-specific.

Thanks for your service, and best of luck with the career plans.

Ask a Question