USA Need help for moving on

Reaction score
I have a Bachelor degree in accounting and also one year certification course of accounting with a strong software skills, I started my career as a Accounts Payable and have been in this role for past 7 years, I have done vendor management, process 1099, Reclass journal entries, key the invoice , AP open liability recons, check runs, batch posting, bank statement recons. My question is I would like to move on in my career as staff accountant or AP supervisor, but not sure how to , where every job opening needs month end close experience. I love and live for accounting. I have worked in Great plains, PeopleSoft , oracle and lots of main frame accounting package.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
After being in your role for 7 years you have become "just the A/P guy"in the mind of management. To break out of this you need to 1) secretly seek new employment elsewhere in the role you desire as well as 2) have a career discussion with your boss and ask for exactly what you need to do to move up to the desired spot. Once you complete that , it is hard for them to pass you up if the spot becomes open.

Reaction score
Now, I am not working for past 2 yrs and really don't want to go back as AP clerk. Hope I will get some interview calls for staff accountant . Thanks a lot for your reply.Is there any site where I can read about month end close journals and bank statement recons in details?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I suggest you build two resumes - on one your goal is "A/P supervisor" and the other shows the goal as "staff accountant." The idea is that you are more lilkely to land the A/P job but the other resume is there for you to "Swing for the fences" (Of course you send the A/P one to the A/P job postings and the acct one to the acct job postings).
The primary goal is to get back to work, secondary is to get the great job.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Check youtube.com
Vision 33 has some great tutorial videos on SAP Look for SAP B1 Training - Nov 21st, 2012 - Financial Series part 2 with Mike Hodg
I learned a lot from them I am in hospitality industry and it helped me

If you need more help understanding any accounting process let me know

Ask a Question