USA Opened LLC, became S Corp. Can I convert back to LLC?

Reaction score
My client opened an LLC, then chose to become an S Corporation. They had very little activity, no tax returns filed yet. They want to become an LLC - Partnership now.

Can they do that now? Is there a way to convert? Or do they need to close the corporation and open a brand new corporation?

Thank You,
Jay

Reaction score
This process is not as simple as going from C-corp to S-corp or partnership to S-corp. My understanding is that you will need to liquidate the corp and sell the assets to the new partnership entity. The rules on this from state to state vary quite a bit. You may or may not have taxable gain on the transfer in different scenarios. Or, you could leave the assets in the S-corp and have it acquire a minimal share of the new partnership.

Why do they want to pull the plug on the S-corp so quickly? Are they daunted by keeping up with payroll? Get them on Paychex or another provider and make it easy.

Reaction score
The reason is because one of the investors is an LLC and that is not allowed under an S Corp. I found this link and got some good information. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

assetlawyer.com/legal-blog/2009/06/08/protecting-business-interests-how-to-protect-subchapter-s-corporations/?]Protecting Business Interests: How to Protect Subchapter S-Corporations? - Asset Lawyer

I think the best way to go about this is to file a revocation of S Election to the IRS and then file Form 8832 to switch to an LLC. Would you agree?

Reaction score
No, I don't exactly agree. Going from S-corp to partnership (LLC or not) requires revocation of S-corp status, dissolution of the corporation, and transfer into a new entity. I'm pretty sure you can't just 8832 your way back to a partnership with no transaction taking place.

Since the corporate entity was never eligible to be taxed as an S-corporation (assuming the LLC had an interest on day one), the Form 2553 S-election was invalid on day one. Therefore, I think you need to file Forms 1120 and a short year 1120 for this year or next. Then, you file to dissolve the entity and sell the assets into a new LLC, electing to be taxed as a partnership.

Last edited:

Ask a Question