USA Opening Balance Equity not zero

Reaction score
So recently I decided to get some practice with Quickbooks to keep my skills sharp. I went ahead and started the comprehensive review problem II from my accounting textbook (College Accounting by Paradigm Publishing if anyone is curious). The first thing I did was open up a bunch of accounts, most of which have opening balances. After I entered everything I noticed the Opening Balance Equity account was not zero, looking it up in QB help it says I probably didn't enter everything in. I figure either I missed something somehow or I didn't set it up right.

I looked for a place where I can get a second opinion, and I landed here. If anyone can guide me to the light I would greatly appreciate it. I've attached the trial balance.

Attachments

Reaction score
For every entry you made, there should have been an opposing entry for it. For example, at first glance of your TB, you had $2955 in Accounts Receivable, giving you an opposing entry of $2955 in Income. etc. So, in some of your entries, you did not have an opposing entry so it recorded to Opening Balance Equity, showing the owner putting that $$entry as part of their capital. If that's not the case, then you need to decide what the opposing entry should be.

Ask a Question