Paid estimated CA taxes, but forgot to include amount in tax returns

Reaction score
I just e-filed my federal and state (CA) taxes last night, but as soon as I filed, I realized that I forgot to enter in my federal tax return the amount I paid in estimated taxes for CA which amounted to $508. I correctly entered the amount I paid in estimated taxes for federal taxes, but goofed and didn’t enter the amount paid for my state estimated taxes. I used TurbTax to prepare my returns. Both the fed and state have already accepted my returns, according to an email I received.

When I went back into turbo tax and corrected my mistake, my federal refund is unchanged, but my state (CA) tax went from me owing $43 to receiving a refund of $465. To compound the problem, I set it up so that the state automatically pulls the $43 from my checking account. I know, not too smart. So my question is whether I should file amended federal and state returns, or if CA tax people will see the payment I made in estimated taxes for tax year 2011 (made in 2011) and send me a refund. Thanks!

Reaction score
Expecting the government to correct your mistakes in your favor is probably asking for too much. They may catch the error or they may not.

If it were me, I'd file the amended return just to be sure.

Reaction score
The state should catch it by matching your account. In any event, there would be no need to file an amended Federal income tax return if the amount of the state tax deduction doesn't change the amount of your federal taxes.

Just curious, though, I assume if the state tax payment did not affect your Federal tax payment, you ended up taking the standard deduction rather than itemizing. Is that correct?

Ask a Question