Canada Payment made in January for a work done in December

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,
Prior to 2021, I was doing manual bookkeeping using Excel. But starting January 1st, 2021 I decided to use QuickBooks online and so I imported all my bank transactions starting January 1st, 2021. In the latter transactions appears a transaction of a payment made on January 15th, 2021 but for work done in December 2020. How am I going to deal with this particular transaction? Should I delete it somehow? Should I place it in some other account? If yes which one? I'm trying to set up QuickBooks online for the first time starting January 1st, 2021.

Thank you for your help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not to familiar with how quick books works when you originally setup an account for the first time. Does it allow you to post invoices in a prior period. In any other situation, you would record the entry at the date that the sale or service took place.

Dec
Dr A/R
CR Revenue

Jan (Money rcvd)
Dr Cash
Cr A/R

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am not to familiar with how quick books works when you originally setup an account for the first time. Does it allow you to post invoices in a prior period. In any other situation, you would record the entry at the date that the sale or service took place.

Dec
Dr A/R
CR Revenue

Jan (Money rcvd)
Dr Cash
Cr A/R
So should I start on January 1st 2021 with an initial position as:
Dr A/R

and on January 15th 2021 when the payment is received as:
Dr Cash
Cr A/R

?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Based on your response from the other thread, yes that would be correct.

The revenue/Net income would then be rolled into RE at year end. So if you had no other transactions or items, your opening balance would be Dr A/R Cr RE

Ask a Question