USA Getting $100k gift payment made to a mortgage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, I have a friend whose mom who lives out of the country (Brazil) and is going to be making a $100k payment as a gift to my friends mortgage loan (lives in Nevada). We were thinking the best way to accomplish this is for her mom to just wire the 100k payment directly to her mortgage company. What, if any tax liabilities are there for this? If there are any for receiving a large gift like this what is the best way to mitigate the amount of taxes owed?
Thanks in advance!

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If SHE is receiving the gift, I dont believe she owes any taxes. If her mom were in the US, SHE would have to submit gift tax (unless she were making it part of her estate exclusion) Is her mom a US citizen living abroad or from Brazil?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also be aware that if the gift is OVER $100,000 then you have to file IRS form 3520.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No tax is applicable if receiving the amount as a gift. But yes i did hear about the IRS form 3520 as KIRBY said.

Ask a Question