UK Getting a Job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm an AAT student, I'm nearly finishing Level 2. I don't have any previous experience in accounting and I'm trying to get a job and start my career in accoutings. I have applied to multiple no experience/entry level jobs without getting any call or email. I have a full time job and I can't afford to resign and start a training program to gain experience because I won't be able to sustain myself anymore. What I need is a full time job with normal payrate while I can get training in the same time. I don't know if it's possible but I really need some advices om this. Thank you for your time and effort

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
UK unemployment rate is very low (so there are employers looking for new hires) so you have to look inward to find the issue. Have a friend who works in business review your resume and cover letter to ensure that is not the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UK unemployment rate is very low (so there are employers looking for new hires) so you have to look inward to find the issue. Have a friend who works in business review your resume and cover letter to ensure that is not the problem.
The UK unemployment rate will highly increase in the following years due to mass immigration of third world unskilled people here but that is a different matter.

One of the problems is that I'm not a british native myself, but from a different European country, which may give the employers the assumption that I don't speak english, which is why they would avoid me and choose someone else.

Another thing is even at the entry level jobs they expect people with at least 6 mounths experience in the accountancy/bookkeeping. Since I haven't been born with accounting experience as most employers would expect from someone, I find it very difficult to even find suitable jobs for my level to apply for. All I have is a computer course done in my country, the AAT course I'm taking now and some basic-medium Microsoft Office experience.

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The UK unemployment rate will highly increase in the following years due to mass immigration of third world unskilled people

Well as a skilled and trained accountant, that shouldnt be an issue for you, should it?

In the US, its typical to do inpaid internships while in school in order to gain basic/entry level experience. You may need to work a 2nd job evening shift and intern during the day in order to accomplish your goals.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The UK unemployment rate will highly increase in the following years due to mass immigration of third world unskilled people here but that is a different matter.

One of the problems is that I'm not a british native myself, but from a different European country, which may give the employers the assumption that I don't speak english, which is why they would avoid me and choose someone else.

Another thing is even at the entry level jobs they expect people with at least 6 mounths experience in the accountancy/bookkeeping. Since I haven't been born with accounting experience as most employers would expect from someone, I find it very difficult to even find suitable jobs for my level to apply for. All I have is a computer course done in my country, the AAT course I'm taking now and some basic-medium Microsoft Office experience.
It is difficult here to get that first break into a finance role whether you're native or not. All you can do is keep trying until it happens. Most employers aren't going to assume that you don't speak English either. If anything, it's the opposite because the first glimpse of you to them, is going to be via your C.V.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was in a similar situation and only "solved" it by broadening the net - took a job that wasn't in accounting per se but did involve a handful of accounting responsibilities. I'm not well-informed about the circumstances in the UK, but the situation you've described - i.e.
"a full time job with normal payrate while I can get training in the same time" - is very rare where I live. If working multiple temp positions without security isn't an option for you (as it wasn't for me) then you might look around for a full-time position outside your final objective that nonetheless includes enough "finance field"-type experience to legitimately go on your resume.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Get an internship and the company will pay for your studies. Or get a role within finance (Accounts payable/Revenue Clerk) as that will benefit you in getting an accounting role down the path.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try looking for small companies that advertise in local newspapers or on the government jobs website. They usually are looking for allrounders which have admin and accounting experience. However in your case the option would be to go though the administrative route which is incorporated within any current role you do now. Then you can emphasis on the qualification you are working towards within the CV. Small companies are a great start for anyone going into accounting. You will find you will gather so much experience within a company, which will carry you on to bigger and better things. Don't give up admin and accounting are what all companies need. Good Luck

Ask a Question