USA Will having a DUI stop me from getting a job?

Reaction score
I have a question. I have completed my associates in Accounting with a 4.0 all the way through. I am currently enrolled in University of Michigan working on my Bachelors, one semester in also 4.0. I have a misdemeanor DUI from two years ago and another one from over ten years ago when I was much younger. They both were stupid mistakes I regret, errors of judgment on my part. My question is, Will this ruin me ever being able to get a good job in Accounting? Will it have a lesser impact as it gets older? Will they even see the older one? No matter how old it is, am I always required to bring it up? Thanks for your help in advance.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You will be asked to list legal infractions on your application form. Some states allow employer background checks to include such info and some do not. So if you do not list it and they see it on the report it will be a huge negative for you. Best to see a lawyer on this before you apply anywhere.

You are lucky to still be alive after two DUI incidents.

Last edited:

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Employers are a lot more careful these days and do background checks.

However, there are ways to expunge or seal records from public view. But I don't think DUIs can have this done.

Best thing would be to reveal them and be honest upfront. If you get a job by lying on your application, it's immediate grounds for dismissal in most companies.

Ask a Question