USA Payroll Liab. Problem....simple for you....I'm loosing it!

Reaction score
I've been a QB User for 12 years. I think in the last three years - I'm finally understanding it very well.

Back in the first few years I did not enter payroll liab checks correctly (2001).

Then I did a "clean up" and of course, it moved my payroll liab & expenses to a GENERAL JOURNAL ENTRY that cannot be edited. Im sure I did it incorrectly at one time.

Now when I go to create custom liab payment for 1-1-2001 to 12-31-2001 it shows nothing due. But when I hit the button on the right (create report), it shows a balance for 2001 (and I do understand how to filter the paid through date.

Please help, this is driving me insane.

I tried to upload a screen shot, but my file was 132kb. Max file is 19.5. Would be glad to email if needed.

Reaction score
Common problem! Go to the menu bar Employees > Payroll Taxes and Liabilities > Adjust Payroll Liabilities. Choose the "company" radio button and then select the item(s) that corresponds to the liabilities you want to affect. Enter amount as negative and then over on the right, click the "Accounts Affected" button. In this window select "Do not affect accounts". This adjustment will fix the reports/amounts showing as due.

As you found out, those reports are tied to the "Pay Liabilities" routine. If regular checks were used to pay the liabilities and not a "payroll liability check", then those reports are not affected and it appears as if you still owe.

Ask a Question