UK Private client wants invoice under company name. Is it legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm a sole trader.
I did a job for a private household last week, they paid me in cash.

I asked them for their surname so I could email them an invoice showing payment for my records.

They have now asked me to invoice the name of a company (doesn't seem to be registered at their home address, but nearby) that on research the husband obviously owns. I assume he's trying to avoid tax...

As I didn't do work for the company, will I have problems if at some point my papers were audited? I wouldn't be so worried if ti was a one off, but it's the chance for fairly regular work.

What should I do? I don't want to do anything illegal.

Thanks for any advice

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its on them. If they are claiming this was work for the company you cant really say it was not nor should you care. Nothing illegal about invoicing a client using the name and address they state its for.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its on them. If they are claiming this was work for the company you cant really say it was not nor should you care. Nothing illegal about invoicing a client using the name and address they state its for.
Thanks @bklynboy

Ask a Question