QuickBooks Online Vs QuickBooks Desktop

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
QBO is like New Coke. In other words a horrible execution. I have started to recommend Freshbooks. Too many problems and complaints from clients using Quickbooks whether desktop or on line.

Freshbooks does have an issue with CPAs gaining access to client files, but every client thus far has found it easy to use. Also Freshbooks sells you what you need not everything like QuickBooks.

Desktop used to be easy to use. But Intuit made it complex when reaching to other markets and trying to squeeze every penny out of them.

QBO has no relationship to desktop. If you have been using desktop for decades, you will be completely lost in QBO. But just about anyone is completely lost in QBO. Its platform is not intuitive which is ironic considering Intuit is the parent company and their name is the root word of intuitive.

There is no longer the day a lay person with no or little accounting knowledge can use QuickBooks whether desktop or on line. One needs to understand the basics of accounting and be a solid bookkeeper to use this software today.

The reports I get from Freshbooks are often clean and useful even from clients that have no bookkeeping experience. The reports I get from QuickBooks often are complete garbage or have at least a few problems even from seasoned bookkeeper.

Reaction score
Country
United States
QuickBooks Desktop is a software on which you can rely for all your accounting and finance operations without a doubt. Also, there are several accounting professionals who are accustomed to QuickBooks Desktop software which means you can get help any time you want. Whereas, although QuickBooks Online is said to be similar to QB Desktop, it has a different user interface and is still in improvement stage. It is quite basic and can not handle complex accounting situations.

The only advantage QB Online has over QB Desktop is that it is cloud-based. Thus, it gives more flexibility to the user to collaborate easily and can work from anywhere. However, QB Desktop can also be loaded with remote accessibility by moving it to the cloud. There are several QuickBooks Hosting Providers who are Intuit Authorized to provide you the best-in-class experience.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello @Srijana Pandey

I have been using Quickbook for the last many years & due to a recent update I switched Quickbooks desktop to quickbook online. So I have experience for both. I will try to write the major difference between both.QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop both have a lot going for them, but there are some key differences. Learn which QuickBooks accounting software fits the size, type, and needs (and budget) of your business.

QuickBooks OnlineQuickBooks Desktop
Pricing$25-$180/month$349.99/year+
Installation MethodCloud-basedLocally-installed
Number Of Users1-251-3
Key Features650+ integrations, easy to use, advanced invoicingStrong accounting features, advanced reporting, 240+ integrations

QuickBooks Online Overview

ProsCons
- Cloud-based
- Easy to use
- Monthly pricing
- Strong features
- 650+ integrations
- Data security
- More expensive than other SMB products
- Fewer features than Desktop
- No sales orders

QuickBooks Desktop Overview
ProsCons

- Strong features
- Traditional accounting
- Advanced reporting
- Potentially more secure
- 240+ integrations
- Windows-only
- Customer support
- Can be expensive
- Fewer automations than QBO

Comparing QuickBooks Online & Desktop:

Both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop are capable programs with strong accounting features. Each software has its highs and lows.

With QuickBooks Online, users receive many of the same great features while gaining the mobility of cloud-based software. QuickBooks Online is easier to use and has more automations, more integrations, and better invoicing. The downsides are the lack of sales orders, lead management, and other complexities that loyal Desktop users may miss (such as customizable letter templates, a built-in calendar, and even spellcheck).

With QuickBooks Desktop, users receive some of the most developed accounting tools on the market. The software offers comprehensive features, unique touches (such as lead management and sales orders), industry-specific versions of the software, and the potential to be more secure. The downsides are that QuickBooks Desktop lacks the mobility of QBO, has few automations and limited payment gateways, and has a steep learning curve (although the software is well-organized and gets easier to navigate with time).

Thanks

Ask a Question