USA Reporting a large gift - of gold?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to those on this forum, I'm now aware of annual ($14K) and lifetime ($5M) gift tax exemptions and Form 709 requirements for those giving the gifts. However, I have an uncommon scenario:

My mother purchased gold coins throughout her lifetime as a means of savings. She has accumulated what is now nearly $300k worth of gold krugerrands and maple leafs over the last 25 years. She has receipts for some of the purchases, but not the majority. Now, she would like to give me those coins to put towards a down payment. She is older and does not want to deal with selling the coins, haggling, etc.

I assume that she would have to file a Form 709 based on the current market value of the coins (just like a gift of $300k in cash), which I would then sell online or to a gold broker to convert to cash, allow this cash to "season", and put towards a home later in the year. Is this accurate (and legal)? Is there a more efficient way to go about this transfer without triggering any uncecessary tax consequences?

Thanks in advance for any help with this very good problem to have.

Reaction score
Country
United States
gold coin dealers often buy gold and gold coins,APMEX is one of them,if your mother just sell it herself and give you cash,would it be better for you.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
gold coin dealers often buy gold and gold coins,APMEX is one of them,if your mother just sell it herself and give you cash,would it be better for you.
So one solution that would be simpler is if you sell the coins for her while they are still in her name.

Ask a Question