USA Second job

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi my primary job is 100% remote but I finish my work in 2 hours and sit idle the whole entire day.I get a lot of calls for remote contract jobs and I can manage two jobs easily.If I take another job during regular business hours then will that be a problem ? I am not finding anything outside of regular business hours.I work for a Fortune 500 company that requires a full disclosure of second jobs but if I disclose to them that I have another job in regular business hours then they will never approve of that.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If I take another job during regular business hours then will that be a problem ?
Yup. Could lose your present job.

If you are sure your present employer will not approve a second job, then estimate what happens if you leave your present job and instead work with all those other contract jobs. But you have to factor in the security of your present job, including the medical benefits and vacation benefits if any. If the present job is the winner, there are many paths. One is to notify your employer you can take on more responsibility, which could lead to advancement. Another is to acquire advanced education online.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have already acquired advanced education online while working for this employer which is an MBA.My current job is with Fortune 500 company and fully remote.My workload is light and pay is also just six figures on the spot.My husband has been unemployed post covid even though he used that time to get his MBA from top 20 school but hasn’t landed a job even with 25 years exp.We are a family of 4 and I am unable to pay bills with just my salary.I have bandwidth to take on more work and work two jobs at the same time.I am just not sure how to hide my second job from my primary employer.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Worst and most financially risky thing you could do is take a second job without approval from current employer. One simple internet search by your employer and it’s all over. I suggest best path is for husband to get any reasonable employment even if it is not befitting a top 20 mba grad. That will get the stress off of you, give him the dignity of working and add cash flow to the family. When he can, he can apply for a better job. Having no current employment is seen by an employer as worse than having a current lower paid employment.

Last edited:

Ask a Question