Student Credits and Foreign Taxes

Reaction score
Greetings!

So I have quite a few questions and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

1. I just found out about student tax credits and I know I can amend previous returns, but is it worth it...in terms of cost?

2. Speaking of student tax credits, I know you cannot combine them but which one is a better option for someone who was full-time on government and private loans with little income while attending? (I have graduated now)

I know of the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit but not in detail.

3. If I claim foreign wages on my tax return, but exempt them, will it still show up in my total gross income? I ask because I am on an income-based repayment plan for student loans and that would effect my monthly payments when I re-apply.

Like I said, any help or even advice on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Ask a Question