Australia Mature Aged Student advice

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi

I’m 49 and served as a Accountant for one of the biggest tech/entertainment companies globally, serving the local Australian entity Balance Sheet, finance support etc.

My role was absorbed by an overseas office and redundancy offered.

My path to there was via experience and getting back into similar role is difficult when virtually all my candidate competitors have Degrees. Anyway I always felt I would be a mature aged student and so I have started Bachelor of Commerce degree, major Accounting.

Problem is I find the 100 level courses challenging, not because they are difficult but because they are oversimplifying greatly. Then I remember what I was like after leaving school and I would need things oversimplified too. So I get it, it helps the matriculating high school students get a supportive introduction to the commercial world.

But can anyone help with advice from being a mature aged student with serious experience in real commercial world?

Who’s done this path? Is it as out of sync with real world as I find it? Does it get better in year 2 and 3?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was in a similar situation and ended up getting my bachelor's degree 20 years after graduating high school. I took an accounting course in high school and while I did well, I didn't really understand it and didn't retain anything afterwards. When I took it again in college, I couldn't believe how easy it was for me and didn't understand why others struggled so much.

Then I hit the second level courses, which were often referred to as the weed-out classes and had to work like everyone else. /s

Right now, you're studying the basics, which you've already gotten a good grasp of. But unless your experience has fully qualified you to sit for the certification exams, it won't last.

Good luck, have fun, and don't lose sight of what's important.

Ask a Question