Mature Aged Student - Oversimplification of 101 courses

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi

I’m 49 and served as a Accountant for one of the biggest tech/entertainment companies globally, serving the local Australian entity Balance Sheet, finance support etc.

My role was absorbed by an overseas office and redundancy offered.

My path to there was via experience and getting back into similar role is difficult when virtually all my candidate competitors have Degrees. Anyway I always felt I would be a mature aged student and so I have started Bachelor of Commerce degree, major Accounting.

Problem is I find the 100 level courses challenging, not because they are difficult but because they are oversimplifying greatly. Then I remember what I was like after leaving school and I would need things oversimplified too. So I get it, it helps the matriculating high school students get a supportive introduction to the commercial world.
But can anyone help with advice from being a mature aged student with serious experience in real commercial world?

Who’s done this path? Is it as out of sync with real world as I find it? Does it get better in year 2 and 3?

thanks!

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm doing something similar. I'm moving into accounting after a long career in insurance, and I'm finishing up an accounting degree right now as part of my getting a CPA. I know what you mean about the lower-level courses' being oversimplified. Sometimes I overthink assignments because I'm thinking about them like I would a problem at work.

I don't know if it gets better in later years; I still do it once in a while. But I've learned to spot when I'm overdoing things and making more out of a problem than was asked for.

Hope this helps.

Doc

Reaction score
Country
United States
ACCA offers some alternatives to their certification and degree programs where you can substitute work experience for education. You may want to look into that. Search Alternative routes to ACCA Qualification

Ask a Question