UK Tax overpayment explained. Panic!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I filled out my tax return waaay back in September.
Just being nosey I have looked at my account tonight and found that I have an overpayment due on 31st jan. what does that mean specifically, as I am 100% certain all my tax is up to date.
See image. Anyone know specifically what “overpayment” means and why it would appear at the end of jan?
E47D3C30-37BA-4392-855C-36B0F2325BD1.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Peter,
Usually this means that you have paid more taxes than you had to. If you are employed or get a pension HMRC will either send you a tax calculation letter (P800) or a simple self assessment letter this will tell you how to get a refund.

You may also click on "Overpayment from .....2023" to get more detailed information on the transaction.

I hope this helps.

Should you require any further help please feel free to contact me on (e-mail address removed). You can also connect with me via LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/lisha-shresthaacca.

Best regards,
Lisha, ACCA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The overpayment of the taxes will be adjusted against your next year's tax bill, or you can even claim it back from HMRC with interest.

Ask a Question