USA The Customer:Job feature in Quickbooks

Reaction score
I'm working in a grant-funded nonprofit again. In the past I set up classifications for funding sources by program by year, so that each individual grant had its own unique classification but with grouping under the funding sources, i.e. NC:DHHS:14, NC:DOA:15, NC:DPS:15, Chapel Hill:Legal:14, Chapel Hill-Education:15, etc. where the numbers are the fiscal years.

This new nonprofit has been using single level classifications (no subclasses) to denote 1 of 5 broad program areas (Crisis Intervention, Legal Assist, Civic Educ, Admin, Development, etc, while using Customer:Jobs to specify grant funding sources to track expenses. BTW, each Job/grant could conceivably fund activities in all 5 broad program areas.

I never knew that specifying a "job" for an expense would replace the vendor information, e.g., Staples or AT&T, with the name of the job, which for us is a grant. It's driving me nuts when I run a quick report (CTRL+q) to investigate a transaction. To see the original vendor I have to modify the quick report to show the "source name." Then there's the whole other issue of all "unassigned" expenses showing up under the vendor name when I run an expense report by Job. Can you imagine how many columns are in that report?This is crazy!

Anyone know how I can track broad program lines and individual grants without resorting to Jobs? Simply reversing the way we use classifications and jobs won't make the problem go away.

Ain't nonprofits fun?!!

Thanks!

Ask a Question