USA What Do I charge as a Freelancer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have recently started to freelance as an accountant and am creating my first invoice, but I do not know how much I should charge per hour. The client and I never discussed payment because I didn't foresee having him as a client that I would need to charge. The work I have done for the client is assisting in constructing an excel spreadsheet that lists income and expense transactions he and his wife have made. I have been compensated $300.00 for that, which I never asked for, but was glad to receive. After that I was told to send him an invoice for new work completed. I an invoicing for identifying data entry errors and making corrections, I have no idea how much I should charge for this work, does anyone have any advice?
this will be greatly appreciated.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Before you discuss dollars, I suggest you prepare an engagement letter for the client to sign that specifies the specific services you are to provide, frequency of service, cooperation expected from them in providing you what you need in order to accomplish it, payment terms (time frame payment is due) terms of fee increases, and remedy action on your part for non-payment, liability assumed based on your service etc.
Then you discuss the dollar amounts you feel your services are worth for specific services either on a job basis, hourly or time basis, etc.
I would suggest you contact a professional association to guide you as to how to value those various services.
Specific dollar amounts for specific types of services usually are discouraged from being discussed on a public forum as that has been interpreted as being price-fixing which is prohibited by Federal Trade Commission.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the insight, it is greatly appreciated. I will look into this.

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Before you discuss dollars, I suggest you prepare an engagement letter for the client to sign that specifies the specific services you are to provide, frequency of service, cooperation expected from them in providing you what you need in order to accomplish it, payment terms (time frame payment is due) terms of fee increases, and remedy action on your part for non-payment, liability assumed based on your service etc.
Then you discuss the dollar amounts you feel your services are worth for specific services either on a job basis, hourly or time basis, etc.
I would suggest you contact a professional association to guide you as to how to value those various services.
Specific dollar amounts for specific types of services usually are discouraged from being discussed on a public forum as that has been interpreted as being price-fixing which is prohibited by Federal Trade Commission.
wow I am being paid 30 Canadian dollars for 100 entries as well as bank reconciliation by my Canadian client. I think I should start charging more.

Ask a Question