Will my bookkeeping experience count as a new CPA?

Reaction score
Hello, I have been a full-charge bookkeeper for 15 years. I learned from my mother and on the job. I was a telecommuter for several years and was pretty happy in that life. But after being laid off last year, I had to take a regular 8-5 job and that motivated me to complete my BS in accounting (online, should be done by next spring) and sit for the CPA exam next fall. I'm a single parent so this is not an easy thing to manage time-wise. I make almost 40K now and am concerned that my bookkeeping experience may not count for anything when I am a new CPA. Not that I want to go into public accounting; instead I want to be a Controller or something corporate. If I'm not going to qualify for a job that will pay much more (or any more! :eek:), it won't be worth it to keep pushing towards this goal. As I'm in my 40s I don't have years to plug away at an entry level job. I'd be just as well to choose a different college degree that is more creative and fun. Has anyone had experience similar to mine?

Reaction score
Have been accounts clerk/bookkeeper for about 13 years too but no CPA title like you endeavored... I quit my recent job too, but, no plan to pursue any certifying title. In my experience of looking for same type of job - "many years of experience" has great advantage plus your certification will certainly be +++ advantage. Best of LUCK to you :)

Ask a Question