USA WIP (Work in Process/Progrees) Calculation

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was hoping you could assist me with a work related issue that I am trying to resolve. We have a WIP schedule in our monthly financials for tracking our construction jobs in progress. The formula I am familiar with is

WIP = (Actual Cost/Budget Cost) * Contract Value – Billed Revenue

My predecessor used a different method of calculating WIP and I cannot find anything online, or otherwise, to back up her computation. She used:

Cost to date + Realized Profit to date – Billed Revenue to date

I took over the accounting manager position recently and I am trying to understand the prior method of calculating WIP. If both methods produced the same number we wouldn’t have an issue. But I cannot stand behind her formulas.

My predecessor purposely did not reveal her methodology on a number of subjects, to ensure she was not "replaceable". It has made my new job tedious and stressful. If I could solve this one final issue, I believe I will have everything under control. Our CPA is not helpful at all. That’s a whole other issue in itself.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You know and can support your formula so just use it and don’t look back. I’ve experienced many times from a predecessor the “this is my unique and personal method - never change it”. And I’ve found that this is the modern equivalent of “if you change anything the gods will be angered!” Trust your knowledge and experience over unsupported fabrications.

Last edited:

Ask a Question