USA Would I get hired?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I pass the CPA exam, do I have s shot at getting hired as an accountant?

Here are some unfavorable factors:

1.I have a bachelor's degree in Business Economics, not accounting.
2. I have a second degree burglary charge back when I was 18 years old. (I amcurrently 29 years old)
3. My gpa is 2.1

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Kevin

The burglary charge is going to be a huge stumbling block as accountants typically work with money and need clean records. I suggest you look into expunging that record. I've seen some advertisements with low cost (less than $1,000) to do so. Do an internet search on "expunging criminal record."
Frankly, the other factors do not help either but a lot depends on the market you are in. You may need to relocate to a market where there is a shortage of accountants.
But in any case, solve that record thing first and right away.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually did get it expunged. Will I be able to say that I havr never been convicted if it is expunged when being considered for employment? Also are my chances pretty good if I pass the CPA test?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You may be in luck. When some states allow for expunging a conviction they also enact into law that you need not report the expunged conviction on employment applications (else why bother?). So check on your state's laws.
Passing the CPA exam will help offset some of those other things.​

Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

Do you want to work as a CPA? What are the requirements for getting a CPA certification (Education and work experience requirements)? Have you considered other certifications like CMA, CFC, CFA, etc. The type of certification you get would be based on the type of work you are interested in doing (management accounting, financial accounting, auditing, internal auditing, etc.)

Ask a Question