USA 1099-R for deceased person

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am attempting to file my father's final return.

He passed away last summer. His cause of death was Alzheimer's and had been in a skilled nursing facility for approximately 4 years. I had POA for all of his legal and financial affairs. Among those, was his Pension which was held by Fidelity. Since I am the one who actually set up his online accounts with Fidelity and his bank...I knew his UN/PW.

Once he passed away, I notified everyone, including the VA, SSA, and Fidelity of his passing. Interestingly, once Fidelity was notified, they blocked all online access and I never heard from them again. I assumed they would simply issue my father's tax documentation (1099-R) as required by law, but they refuse to issue the form. The only communication we have had is a phone call which they stated that I needed to send them a letter requesting the document...which I sent over a month ago via USPS - Certified/Return Receipt mail. I have had the signed Return Receipt for more that 20 days...but no correspondence whatsoever.

So, they haven't issued the 1099-R for my father and they won't communicate what additional documentation they need from me in order to issue the 1099-R. My accountant says he cannot file my father's return without the 1099-R. Is this correct? He suggests that I hire an attorney. Since I know exactly what my father received from Fidelity for all of 2016, it seems ridiculous to pay an attorney to force Fidelity to simply issue a document that is mandated to be issued by federal law.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything at all?? With the APR 15th deadline rapidly approaching, any feedback and guidance is welcomed. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, there is one thing you can do before you hire an attorney. You can sic the Feds on Fidelity. :D

That's right. According to the IRS, if you contact your payer, and they still haven't sent you the correct forms by the end of February, then you're supposed to contact the IRS directly and they'll go get 'em for you. Note that, as of today, you will probably have to file for an extension as you may not be able to get the form in time for the deadline.

More information can be found in this link: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc154.html

I hope my reply isn't too late! :( Let me know if I've helped you. :)

Ask a Question