USA Already Paid Bills

Reaction score
I am, by no means, an accountant. I have only started to use Quickbooks for the past two months, as it is required of my new job. My boss is a year behind on his taxes so I'm working on getting him caught up.
I entered in all of the business checks we have disbursed, and I was just told I needed to write invoices to go along with all of them. From what I have read, to go about doing that, I went to "Enter Bills" and did the vendor invoices that way. Considering we already sent out all the checks quite some time ago, these bills are already paid...
So my question is, how do I set these bills to show as paid without destroying the current (correct) numbers in the business account?

Reaction score
Hi missamanda. I just joined the forum and saw your question. Have you received an answer yet? The problem with what you did is that you have now entered your expenses twice. By writing checks first, you debited your expense and credited your checking account. Then when you entered the bills for the checks you already paid, you debited your expense account again and credited Accounts Payable. So your expenses have been overstated. To correct this you will have to go Pay Bills and mark the one you want to show as paid. At the bottom of the screen mark "Assign check number". Click done on the next window. This will credit AP and debit your checking account. You will then need to go back to each check, not the bill-check and delete it. Otherwise, your checking account will show each check twice. Hope this helps.

Jo Ellen Peters

Ask a Question