USA Are employers crazy these days?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am an accounting senior. I have just wrapped up an internship at a public accounting firm. I was doing tax returns for small business (schedule C) and/or individuals with investments all over the place (stocks, bonds, rental properties), multiple states returns as well. I assisted senior staff in preparing corporate returns (S Corps and Partnerships) too. I have been applying to every job internship I can find for 2 months and no success so far! I got couple interviews, but employers say that I am either over qualified, although I emphasize that I don't mind to perform lover level functions,probably they want somebody who hasn't got any experience and to pay $10/hour or even less. Or that I don't have a diploma yet (I've got 4 classes left!) Or if i apply for positions not related to taxes, they say I don't have experience with accounting software ( to manage payroll, AP, AR, etc.). I completely don't get it! How can I be overqualified with just couple months of internship Why should I have experience with software such as Quick books or Peachtree to get an INTERNSHIP if it the software is so simple that even a child can handle it If it is so important to know that software in the current job market, why colleges don't teach it A lot of very respectable corporations won't even consider me, cause they want sophomores or juniors to foster future leaders from them. I haven't tried big fours yet, since they don;t show up at our college, but I can visit career fairs at another college not so far away, but I feel it's hard to get a job offer or an internship there. I am completely discouraged! What should I do in this job market?

Reaction score
There are tutorials on YouTube that can familiarize you with various software. You're not getting the hands on experience with it, but at least you can speak to the various features of the software and show some familiarity with it.

If you only have 4 classes left to get your diploma/degree, then perhaps you should prioritize your schedule to finish that off as soon as possible. Being incomplete with your formal education is generally knock out factor with most hiring managers.

Good luck to you.

Mike

Reaction score
It would help to know what your goals are. Do you have the educational requirements to sit for the CPA exam? Do you want to work in tax at a public accounting firm or would you like to consider industry positions as well?

Reaction score
It would help to know what your goals are. Do you have the educational requirements to sit for the CPA exam? Do you want to work in tax at a public accounting firm or would you like to consider industry positions as well?
I don't have 150 credits yet, but i will in May of 2014 (I've got 4 classes left). I am open to ANY opportunities in public or private accounting. Taxes/audit doesn't matter.

Ask a Question