USA Do employers care about GPA and where you got your degree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to be finishing my degree and I'm debating between 2 schools - one of our state universities offers an online accounting degree, and I'm also looking at WGU also which is online.

WGU as far as I know is the only legitimately regionally accredited online university (or, in other words, not a degree mill). Because they are competency based, you can potentially "test out" of classes and receive credits for competency, which may allow me to finish sooner. It would also be low enough cost I could do this without going further in debt, which is a big deal. Problem is, they are pass/fail which doesn't give a GPA (B or better to pass, but still, no GPA). And I'm waffling because there's probably still a low perception of online degrees.

On the other hand, I could do the in-state university's online degree, which has recognition and acceptance here. Would probably take longer and would definitely cost significantly more, which would put me quite a bit in debt.

So from all of you in the industry, do employers care? Especially if said person has been working in the industry already? I'm a bookkeeper now, and am an adult (already have several associate's degrees) so I have quite a bit of business type job experience. I think I'd rather go to WGU, and I think I'd *do* better there, but I hate the idea of finishing up and then finding I can't get a decent job because of where I went to school.

Reaction score
Country
Tanzania, United Republic Of
Well i would say in our country they do in our african countries!..
Those who have excellent gpa, especially first class have higher priorities,.. and those who did on goverment universities also hav higher consideration than those of private

But the highly considered matter is the job experience..

Ask a Question