USA Accounting Career Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone:) My name is Courtney and I am new to this forum as I stumbled across it doing some research on accounting careers. About a year ago I graduated with a General Business & Psychology degrees. I am interested in focusing on accounting for my future but I am unsure of where to go from here. Do I pursue a masters in accounting or are there programs/certifications offered to build a better foundation? Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone:) My name is Courtney and I am new to this forum as I stumbled across it doing some research on accounting careers. About a year ago I graduated with a General Business & Psychology degrees. I am interested in focusing on accounting for my future but I am unsure of where to go from here. Do I pursue a masters in accounting or are there programs/certifications offered to build a better foundation? Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!
How much background do you have in accounting? With a general business degree, I assume you've taken some basic classes in economics, finance, management, marketing and MIS, correct? What accounting classes have you already taken?

If you're looking at working as an accountant straightaway, your ability to get a CPA is generally important. And your state's board of accountancy will describe what academic credits you need to sit for exams and qualify for a CPA license.

There are several certificate and post-bac programs in accounting offered by colleges, both in-person and online, to build your background in accounting. Starting with a master's in accounting (either an MS, an MAcc or MPA) may also be possible, depending on the program. Each program's website should describe whether they admit students with general business degrees. You'll likely be required to take some undergraduate classes to qualify in any case.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for responding! You are correct, I have taken a wide range of business oriented classes that have touched apon finance, marketing, accounting, etc. As for accounting, I have taken managerial and financial accounting.

I live in Massachusetts and understand addittional education will be necessary to sit for the CPA. I guess I am trying to figure out if there are options other than a masters degree to gain the additional educational requirements or if there are accounting programs available to gain additional education?

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you're in Massachusetts, check out U Mass Dartmouth's post-bac certificate in accounting. I believe it can be done online or in-person. If you already have a general business bachelor's, that should give you the accounting credits you need. NASBA's site and the Massachusetts Board of Public Accountancy will be able to tell you the specific courses/credits you need to sit for CPA exams and for licensure.

Ask a Question