USA Accounting Career Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Afternoon,
I am just writing to see exactly how I should go about getting some work experience in the accounting field. I am a military veteran that has been in school for over a year. I will be getting my Associate's Degree in November for Accounting Fundamentals and I have a 3.54 GPA. I am currently employed, but the field that I got into (insurance) is not what I expected. Therefore, I am trying to get some real accounting work experience. Does anyone have advice as to how I go about getting some legit accounting work experience on a lower level? I have applied for plenty of these types of jobs, but even they are requiring work experience of at least a year and I have not heard back from any of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi There! I am a Vet as well. Although you will find jobs that say "we hire vets", you will come across several like the field you mentioned asking for experience. How do you get experience if nobody will hire you without it? My advice is start a home based business in financials. Give yourself a job and don't waste money on a degree. I am with a company that teaches wealth building strategies and you earn residual income.

But before we get into that, if you're in insurance, your company should already offer products and services that assist people who are looking for financial advice, retirements, savings, etc. Why leave insurance and go to accounting? They are very similar in Financial/Risk.

The only difference I know of between the two is accountants can file taxes...however in the U.S. anybody can file taxes and you can collect 100% of your commissions by being in business for yourself. All you need is a PTIN and EFIN. There are several "Turnkey" Tax Franchises you can purchase and use the companie's branding EFIN, so you can avoid the headache.The VA will give you money to start a business so you have nothing to loose. I've come across tax franchises for $500 or less. Many franchises also include websites and marketing flyers and business cards to help you gain clientel.

College is such a scam now a days. They are willing to give you the degree and student loans, knowing very little jobs exist in your field, town and state and you're left with a degree you can't use and student loan interest mounding up. Or they provide entry-level training for jobs requiring experience and skillset.

Seeing as that you are in insurance and you are familiar with commissions and team overrides, starting a home business just makes sense, Plus you are paying Uncle Sam more of your earnings in taxes where as a business gives you additional savings with taxes. I can't understand why anyone would say "no" to that and struggle trying to find a "good paying job that REALLY DOESN'T EXIST". If you'd like to find out more, Pm me or go to the site in my name.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was able to get a job at my school in their accounting office. The pay isn't great but even if you are only able to work 10-15 hours a week it will give you a great opportunity to gain experience in the accounting field.

It was very boring in the beginning (essentially clerical work) but after a month or so I moved into A/P functions, grant and contract valuation, payroll disbursement, and allowance for bad debt calculations. I even participated in audit research.

Since then, I have been offered an internship at a top 10 accounting firm and I firmly believe my (limited) experience aided me at my interview.

Good luck!

Ask a Question