Advice on Accounting Degree & Career help

Reaction score
Advice on Accounting Degree, career help & Forensic Accounting

I have decided to head back to school and get a degree in accounting. I have been in the workplace for 10 years doing project management in the technology industry. Quite simply I have become dissatisfied with my current employer and the industry as a whole. I have always enjoyed accounting and what coursework I did in college I also enjoyed. A long term goal would be to work in forensic accounting, I believe that would be an exciting part of the industry to work in. So here is the dilemma is it possible to enter the workplace, earn accounting experience while obtaining my degree in accounting and earn a salary comparable to what I earn now? I currently earn around $65K annually. Is there any recommendations you can make on where to enter the workplace while obtaining this degree? I checked online about seasonal employment with the IRS but I am not sure that will work with my schedule, they are only offering a 3pm-11pm shift for seasonal at an entry level.

Last edited:

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Will be difficult to do accounting work without a accounting degree and the best I would think you could get is a bookkeeping role. Salary will probably be lower than where you are now for bookeeping but accountants (at least in NY) entering the field can expect to earn $50K - $60K first day (with overtime paid in many instances).

Any chance you can stay where you are finish up your degree at night so that you dont have a loss of income?

Reaction score
Will be difficult to do accounting work without a accounting degree and the best I would think you could get is a bookkeeping role. Salary will probably be lower than where you are now for bookeeping but accountants (at least in NY) entering the field can expect to earn $50K - $60K first day (with overtime paid in many instances).

Any chance you can stay where you are finish up your degree at night so that you dont have a loss of income?

Thank you so much for replying. Yes I can stay where I am but there are quality of life issues too that if I was doing something different I think I would be much happier and be able to spend more time with my family. So.... I could look for bookkeeping positions but just expect a lower salary? Where is a good place to look for those positions?

Ask a Question