USA I am going crazy trying to figure out the debit and credit for a stock option grant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's what I understand: Assuming a Company uses the fair value method) as allowed in US GAAP, the Company will estimate the fair value of the stock option on grant date, and then recognize this expense over the requisite service period. However, what are the related debits and credits on the day of the grant (assuming the grant does not vest till 1 year from grant date and then each month for 36 months)?

Credit side: What confuses me is that if you recognize anything in equity i.e. crediting APIC for the grant of the option, then when the options are exercised, what would be the credit then? Wouldn't that increase your APIC again?

Debit side : Similarly - if the stock comp expense is to be recognized (usually amortized) over the vesting period, do you wait for 1 year to start to recognize the related expense?

Does this mean that there is no journal entry on grant date for the options?

Reaction score
Country
United States
During vesting period, you are recording: Dr Stock Comp Expense and Cr PIC - Stock Options

On the grant date, if the options are exercised:
Dr PIC - Stock Options for the amount accrued related to these options
Dr Cash for amount received from the exercise
Cr Common Stock for par value of stock
Cr APIC - Common Stock for the difference

If the options expire and are not exercised:
Dr PIC - Stock Options for the amount accrued related to these options
Cr PIC - Expiration of Stock Options

Ask a Question