UK My position at the moment. What are my prospects going forward?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am a 26 year old female, graduated from University of Birmingham in 2015 and since then I had been working at a small accountancy practice from October 2015. As at September 2018, I have almost reached my PER of 3 years. I am feeling very discouraged about my position at the moment. I had started off working as a junior, 3 years later I am still working as a junior and my salary has barely increased, it is still under £15K. I did have exposure to preparing various financial accounts and software packages such as Xero, Sage, SAPA & CCH.

I was unexpectedly moved into payroll for more than 1 year back in 2016 which I was disappointed about as I wanted to develop myself in audit and accounts. As a result I haven't even had the opportunity to do any client facing roles nor have I been out on audit. I had just returned back into audt & accounts in March 2018 and I am hoping they allow me to go out on audits this year, so far they haven't. The firm I work for are old fashioned and they are not that supportive with my progression.

in terms of my ACCA progression, I now have 1 more exam left before I qualify. I believe that I have ticked most boxes of objectives for practical experience, however I still lack audit experience out at client sites which I am disappointed with. I do want to leave my current firm and I intend to do so after I completed my final exam in December 2018.

What are my prospects in terms of position and salary after I pass my final exam and considering the experience i currently have?

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to look into a position at one of the larger accountancy firms - you will have far better chances of progression and skill development there. Check your employment contract - if you are still on a training contract then you may be liable to repay and study/exam costs paid by your employer if you leave within a certain time frame.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under £15k is absolutely ridiculously low. You could earn more stacking shelves in Tesco. I have 2 exams to go with ACCA and was thinking my salary of £24,000 was low. According to some sites I have seen the average grad salary is £28-£32k which sounds about right from what I've heard.

Sounds like you're being taken advantage of majorly

Ask a Question