USA Are making assumptions appropriate when preparing tax returns?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am a bookkeeper for about 25 years. In preparing my 1120-C tax return for fiscal year ending 6/30/22, my CPA ignored the P&L and, instead, made an assumption (his words) of wages paid based on an - admittedly - incorrect memo on a SEP payment which indicated the payroll amount was "gross amount for fiscal year 2022" as of 5/12/22, which was 6+ weeks before end of fiscal year. Although the net income is correct and matches the net income on the P&L, the wage earnings and permits and fees (where he put balance from P&L payroll amount) are incorrect. When I asked if an amended return was warranted, he said "no amending necessary. All is good". Although my books are squeaky clean, I do not want anything to trigger an audit. My question: would a return with incorrect wage earnings trigger an audit? Thank you for the assist!

Reaction score
Hello, I am a bookkeeper for about 25 years. In preparing my 1120-C tax return for fiscal year ending 6/30/22, my CPA ignored the P&L and, instead, made an assumption (his words) of wages paid based on an - admittedly - incorrect memo on a SEP payment which indicated the payroll amount was "gross amount for fiscal year 2022" as of 5/12/22, which was 6+ weeks before end of fiscal year. Although the net income is correct and matches the net income on the P&L, the wage earnings and permits and fees (where he put balance from P&L payroll amount) are incorrect. When I asked if an amended return was warranted, he said "no amending necessary. All is good". Although my books are squeaky clean, I do not want anything to trigger an audit. My question: would a return with incorrect wage earnings trigger an audit? Thank you for the assist!
How much are the fees, off by? What makes you think that this will trigger an audit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much are the fees, off by? What makes you think that this will trigger an audit?
Thank you for your response. The fees are off by $4K, which were entered on the return as permits and fees. I don't know what the process IRS uses in determining if audit is warranted, but the payroll tax paid listed is less than was submitted as was the wage total.

Ask a Question