USA Being garnished for taxes I couldn’t possibly owe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In February I got a notice saying I owed $2104 in taxes to the Colorado Department Of Revenue for tax year 2012.
The issue here is that I was in the military from 2007 to 2012, and was only in Colorado from 2008-2010. Even when I did live in Colorado, my home of record was Washington State, so I wouldn’t be paying CO taxes anyway.
I got out of the Air Force in March 2012 and actually lived at my WAhome of record for 18 months after that.
I’m confused about 1) why would CO even think I could possibly owe them taxes and 2) how do I get this fixed and get my (as far as I’m concerned, stolen) money back?
** I should say that I contacted them in February and thought we had straightened this out already; I haven’t heard from them since until I got the garnishment judgement in the mail today.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You should have been given garnishment paperwork telling you who has the claim on you. You need to follow up with them as to why. Then hire a tax person to help you

Reaction score
Country
United States
You should have been given garnishment paperwork telling you who has the claim on you. You need to follow up with them as to why. Then hire a tax person to help you
I know who. It’s the Colorado Department of Revenue for the 2013 tax year.

Ask a Question