UK Being employed and self employed

Apr 6, 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, if I am employed and use up my tax allowance in the employment, but recently also became self employed, if I have made a loss through my self employment will I be eligible for a tax refund?
Last edited:


VIP Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reaction score
Yes, and you have quite a few options.

Option 1 - You can set the losses off against general income for the:-
  • current year;
  • previous year;
  • both current or previous year.
Can also be set off against capital gains.

Option 2 - You can set the losses off against profits of the same trade in future years.

Option 3 - A loss that is made in the year that the trader starts to trade or any of the three subsequent years (i.e. the first four years of the trade) can be carried back and set against total income of the three years before the tax year in which the loss was made, with earlier years taken in priority to later years. This could be highly profitable especially if you were an higher rate taxpayer.

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question